Director, Policy & Government Affairs, South Europe (Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece)
See your future through a different lens
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking a Director, Policy & Government Affairs to lead our policy engagement in South Europe (Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece). This position reports to the Senior Director, Policy and Government Affairs, Europe within the Commercial Organization.
- Lead policy engagement with South Europe governments, parliamentarians, and relevant stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with South Europe policymakers and their staff.
- Shape corporate messaging that is used with external stakeholders and policymakers and develop materials in support of policy positions.
- Define and execute initiatives that address implications of legislative and regulatory developments and identify opportunities to advance Novavax policy agenda in Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece.
- Execute upon the policy and government affairs agenda as part of the broader Commercial strategy that supports multiple vaccine launches and promotes optimal consumer access to our novel vaccines.
- Monitor South Europe healthcare market trends, relevant legislative and policy developments, and analyze their impact to Novavax.
- Participate in external organizations and trade associations engaged in public policy and government affairs activities.
- Partner with the Novavax South Europe General Managers, Advocacy, Market Access, Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Sales Teams to drive policy development that is aligned with the Commercial strategy for South Europe.
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with Novavax policy, regulatory, and legal obligations.
- Lead the development of metrics to demonstrate success of key policy initiatives and impact to Novavax.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Preferred: advanced degree in political science, international relations, healthcare policy, law, business, health sciences or any other related field.
- 8+ years of experience in policy and/or government affairs roles in the private or public sector. Experience in the Italian market and the biopharmaceutical sector strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of vaccine business and regulatory environment is preferred.
- Robust understanding of stakeholders and decision-making processes in Italy and Spain.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to assess how legislation and policy changes impact the company and business environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with policymakers.
- Strategic planning skills with detail-oriented approach to execution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to influence and effectively engage internally & externally.
- Ability to advise and interface successfully with senior executives.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Proven demonstration of strategic thinking and strong leadership skills.
- Teamwork skills and ability to work cross-functionally with multiple internal departments.
- Fluency in Italian and English (written and spoken) required, and proficiency in Spanish and additional European languages will be considered an asset.
Every day our employees impact the future of health by preventing disease. To recognize their contributions, we offer them performance-based pay; a flexible, welcoming work environment; comprehensive and competitive benefits.
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals regardless of their race, colour, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other protected characteristic.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)