Associate Scientist, Upstream Process Development
See your future through a different lens
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking an Associate Scientist to join our Upstream Process Development Department in Gaithersburg, MD. Qualified individuals will play a leading role on upstream process development; scale up, and technical support of cGMP manufacturing for proteins, nanoparticles and virus-like particle (VLP) based vaccines. The candidate will ensure scientifically sound design and scalable upstream processes are created.
The candidate will also be responsible for generating materials for pre-clinical studies and other development purposes. The candidate is expected to be highly self-motivated, well organized, and very productive. This position will be located at our Gaithersburg, MD facility and will report to the Senior Scientist of Upstream Process Development.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Execute experimental work independently or with minimal
- Perform hands on work in a cell culture lab, specifically cell culture expansion, vaccine production as well as process scale up and implementation into GMP clinical production suites.
- Perform process development studies to develop a thorough understanding of operating and performance parameters.
- Ability to process complex data and clearly communicate the implications of the
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner
- Assist in scale up and optimization of early-stage processes, support critical operations as needed in our GMP manufacturing facility and deliver materials for pre- clinical and clinical studies.
- Provide reagents and other supplies for various projects and
- Collaborate and coordinate with colleagues from Discovery, Process Development, Analytical Development, Manufacturing, and QA/QC teams.
- Support process characterization studies and tech transfer process. As needed, support process validation, including validation protocol writing, execution and report
- This position is expected to be mainly hands on in the laboratory.
- BS degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or a related scientific discipline.
- Previous experience with suspension cell culture systems, vaccine and/or viral vector production is desired.
- Solid hands-on upstream experience is required. Minimum of a year industrial upstream experience with vaccines/biologics is preferred; direct experience with virus-derived recombinant products and/or viral particles is a plus.
- A previous track record of culture process development experience such as cell passaging, formulation of media, aseptic technique processing, and managing
- Practical demonstration of hands-on process development including use of statistical design of experiments is required. Experience with automation technologies is
- Ability to think critically, demonstrate troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills are
- Excellent record keeping abilities to adequately record, analyze and document data generated in support of regulatory requirements.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility and willingness to accept temporary responsibilities outside of initial job description
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Ability to work and collaborate in cross functional teams, research, development, manufacturing in a fast pace and dynamic team setting.
- High energy level and a positive outlook coupled with the requisite “can do” attitude and a willingness to do what it takes to achieve personal and organizational goals and overcome obstacles.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
Provide your interests and experience, and we'll keep you informed of relevant opportunities, news, and events with Novavax via email and text message updates.