Associate Scientist, Downstream Process Development – Early Stage
See your future through a different lens
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking an Associate Scientist to join our Downstream Process Development Department – Early Stage in Gaithersburg, MD. Qualified individuals will play a leading role on downstream process development; scale up, and technical support of cGMP manufacturing for proteins, nanoparticles and virus-like particle (VLP) based vaccines. The candidate will ensure scientifically sound design and scalable purification processes are created. The candidate will also be responsible for generating materials for pre-clinical studies and other development purposes. The candidate is expected to be highly self-motivated, well organized, and very productive.
This position will be located at our Gaithersburg, MD facility and will report to a Scientist in Downstream Process Development.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the development of a new purification process by reviewing and compiling relevant literature data
- Support and deliver materials for development, pre-clinical, and clinical studies.
- Execute optimization experiments in the proposed process to demonstrate that the process is robust with high purity/yield, economic, and scalable for clinical stage manufacturing of nanoparticle vaccine and other biologic product candidates.
- Design experimental work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Process complex data and clearly communicate the implications of the results.
- Perform and analyze Design of Experiment (DOE) studies to develop or optimize downstream processes to ensure a phase-appropriate, consistent, high-yield, high-purity process.
- Generate, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner. Provide assessment reports.
- Assist in scale up and optimization of early stage processes, support critical operations as needed in our GMP manufacturing facility and deliver materials for pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Provide reagents and other supplies for various projects and departments.
- Support process characterization studies, process validation and tech transfer process.
- This position is expected to be hands on in the laboratory.
- BS/MS in relevant scientific discipline with 2+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on downstream purification experience is required
- Knowledge in purification of vaccines/biologics; Experience in various chromatography methods, filtration, and TFF unit operations at bench scale and pilot scale desired. Direct experience with virus-derived recombinant products and/or viral particles is a plus.
- Capable of performing multiple functions in a fast-paced environment. Strong technical protocol/report writing, and good organization skills are required.
- Diverse knowledge and experience in various relevant areas, including but not limited to molecular/cell biology, harvest, formulation and common analytical tools is preferred.
- Excellent record keeping abilities to adequately record, analyze and document data generated in support of regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated verbal and written skills in communicating scientific and technical information.
- Proficient in Window based software including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)