Director/Senior Director, External Communications, Asia-Pacific
See your future through a different lens
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking a highly motivated Director/Senior Director of Communications to lead communications activities in Asia-Pacific. The position will report to our Vice President, External Communications based in the United States. Working as part of a cross-functional team, this individual will work in the region to build the company’s reputation as a leader in developing innovative vaccines among external stakeholders. Responsibilities include regional media relations, product PR, reputation-building, event coordination, etc. The successful candidate will partner with colleagues across functions in Asia-Pacific and the U.S. to drive a positive perception of the company in support of business goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- In alignment with our global communications objectives, develop and execute a communications plan to reach stakeholders in the region. Components may include development of regional messages and talking points; media materials, including regional press releases and other external company announcements; and additional communications assets and programming
- Serve as the day-to-day contact in the region for media; respond to inquiries and manage local/regional interviews
- Liaise with regional partners as needed to coordinate joint announcements and events; plan strategically and engage with key journalists
- Maintain a strong understanding of regional issues and proactively develop strategies to position the Company appropriately
- Develop and maintain a solid understanding of our market, relevant scientific topics and business context
- Work compliantly within a highly regulated industry
- Ensure that all content for external use is reviewed and approved as needed
- Create briefing materials for executives and assist in preparation for impactful delivery of messages
- Support other aspects of communication, including logistics, reporting, etc., as needed
- Partner closely with U.S. communications team to coordinate on global initiatives
- Work closely with facility leaders to support local communications needs and convey relevant information to colleagues
- Support the planning and participation in corporate or partner events, as needed
- Help manage external PR agencies
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, biology or other relevant field
- Relevant 10+ years of communications experience, life science or biopharma experience and knowledge highly desired
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English
- Experience interacting with lay, business and trade media; existing relationships are important
- Aptitude for industry content and ability to synthesize information in a meaningful and impactful manner
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in dynamic, fast-paced environment with time sensitivities and high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to design reports and presentations that increase the understanding of the material
- Must be able to foster effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Experience working with senior leaders and anticipating their needs
- Strong work ethic
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
Every day our employees impact the future of health by preventing disease. To recognize their contributions, we offer them performance-based pay; a flexible, welcoming work environment; comprehensive and competitive benefits.
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other protected characteristic.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)